Search

Radio 1 Legends

DLT

After a relaxing week in Berlin it only took an hour back at work before I developed unbelievable stomach pains and had to be carted off to hospital in an ambulance.  Apologies to the doctors who endurred me working through the profanisaurus while they diagnosed kidney stones.  What can I say… they sting a little!

Meanwhile Radio 1 celebrated its 40th birthday by inviting musical “Legends” and Gwen Stefani to take over for an hour and play their favourite tunes. Unfortunatly I missed Macca’s turn (anyone got an MP3?), but the Arctic Monkeys & Noel Gallagher both picked out some gems.  Gallagher was as irreverent as ever, while on the basis of an hour excitedly talking over the top of each other The Monkeys should be given their own show.

Radio 1 40th birthday website (old pics/games/quotes and more)

MP3’s

The Arctic Monkeys – Radio One Legends” (MP3) / tracklist

Noel Gallagher – Radio One Legends” (MP3) / tracklist

Noel also played an unheard rough mix of The Prodigy’s “Guns” featuring his brother, declaring it “better than the released” track.

The Prodigy – Guns (Rough mix)” (MP3)

The nations favourite is also marking its 40th by releasing possibly the worst album in 40 years – a double album of cover versions, one from each year. The wince inducing tracklist includes The View stretching themselves by covering The Libertines, Just Wack trying on a Cardigan, and It must be Madness to let Paulo Nutini anywhere near Labi Sifri’s classic.  That said I wouldnt mind hearing The Streets take on Elton’s “Your Song” and the law of averages says there must be a couple of half decent tracks among the 40.

While on the subject of cover versions, the ever excellent Rob Da Bank had a session with Tunng turning their hand to Blue Pearl’s 1989 rave anthem “Naked In The Rain“.  Reimagined as a folk singalong its nothing if not different to the original.

Tunng – Naked In The Rain” (MP3)

26 Comments

• roomybonce

Re: The anniversary album of 40 covers – WTF!?! ‘Your So Vain’ by The Feeling? ‘Band on the Run’ by The Foos? ‘Love is the Drug’ by Kylie? ‘Sound & Vision’ by Franz Ferdinand. I’m sorry Mr Dirt, but these sound like vastly inspirational selections. Apart from ‘Under Pressure’ by Keane – and McFly cacking The Jam, of course – which sound like the aural equivalent of necking a yard of catsick.

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:51 am
  • roomybonce

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:51 am
  • roomybonce

Oct 12, 2007 at 8:51 am
  • Ryan

I listened to the Radio 1 comp today. You summed it up exactly, “Just Wack” priceless.

The only great tracks are:

Gossip – Careless Whisper
    Klaxons – No Diggity
    Editors – Lullaby

But you’d probably guess that.

Kasabian totally phone-in their cover of The Specials, very disapointing.

McFly’s cover of ‘Town Called Malice’ has to heard to be believed. Not because they play it badly just because poetic lines like “Rows and rows of disused milk floats, stand dying in the dairy yard and a hundred lonely housewives clutch empty milk bottles to their hearts” just don’t sit well with their shiny pop image.

Whisper it, but Stereophonics’ cover of ‘You Sexy Thing’ isn’t totally awful.

Worst track is probably Robbie Williams’ version of ‘Lola’. Yes, yes for gods sake Robbie, the whole “Am I bi-sexual or am I not?” thing is getting very tiresome.

Much better is Filthy Little Angels new free covers album. Here’s a link to get it via my blog:

Ryan (Stop Me)

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:13 am
  • Ryan

I listened to the Radio 1 comp today. You summed it up exactly, "Just Wack" priceless.

The only great tracks are:

Gossip – Careless Whisper

Klaxons – No Diggity

Editors – Lullaby

But you'd probably guess that.

Kasabian totally phone-in their cover of The Specials, very disapointing.

McFly's cover of 'Town Called Malice' has to heard to be believed. Not because they play it badly just because poetic lines like "Rows and rows of disused milk floats, stand dying in the dairy yard and a hundred lonely housewives clutch empty milk bottles to their hearts" just don't sit well with their shiny pop image.

Whisper it, but Stereophonics' cover of 'You Sexy Thing' isn't totally awful.

Worst track is probably Robbie Williams' version of 'Lola'. Yes, yes for gods sake Robbie, the whole "Am I bi-sexual or am I not?" thing is getting very tiresome.

Much better is Filthy Little Angels new free covers album. Here's a link to get it via my blog:

Ryan (Stop Me)

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:13 am
  • Ryan

The only great tracks are:

Gossip – Careless Whisper

Klaxons – No Diggity

Editors – Lullaby

But you'd probably guess that.

Kasabian totally phone-in their cover of The Specials, very disapointing.

Whisper it, but Stereophonics' cover of 'You Sexy Thing' isn't totally awful.

Ryan (Stop Me)

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:13 am
  • rob stewart

Hey there, apologies for contacting you like this, but I couldn’t find an email address. My name’s

Rob and I work for a new media company. We’re currently in the midst of setting up a huge MP3/free don-

load resource for music bloggers. If this seems like something you’d be interested in, drop me a line at

[email protected]

Thanks for your time “

Oct 16, 2007 at 10:15 am
  • rob stewart

[email protected]

Thanks for your time “

Oct 16, 2007 at 10:15 am
  • rob stewart

[email protected]

Thanks for your time “

Oct 16, 2007 at 11:15 am
  • Ollie

Top bloke! Thanks for the Noel show. Have you got the Weller or McCartney ones? Cheers.

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:50 am
  • Ollie

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:50 pm
  • Ollie

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:50 pm
  • James

Hi mate

God that sounds nasty – are you OK now? I still have a rotten chest virus that refuses to go away 🙁

Nice post – good old R1 – the A-Z by DJ Yoda was excellent too.

Speak soon

James

Oct 18, 2007 at 5:49 pm
  • James

Hi mate

Nice post – good old R1 – the A-Z by DJ Yoda was excellent too.

Speak soon

James

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:49 pm
  • James

Hi mate

Nice post – good old R1 – the A-Z by DJ Yoda was excellent too.

Speak soon

James

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:49 pm
  • musiclikedirt

Roomy – Unfortunately your devout love of all things Hall & Oates makes your musical views slightly questionable 😉

Ryan – Couldnt find the link to that filthy covers collection. Robbie Williams doing Lola sounds like a living hell, and HardFi doing Toxic is an abomination.

Rob – Thanks. My email address is on the front page on the right

Ollie. Cheers. Noel show is definitely worth a listen, unfortunatly as I said in the text I missed the Macca show (I dont know people never read the words I took ohhh minutes composing, they just nab the mp3’s) 😉

James – Long time no hear! Hope youre on the mend, I did notice on facebook that you were still feeling rough. Is all well with the new job?

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:10 pm
  • musiclikedirt

Rob – Thanks. My email address is on the front page on the right

Ollie. Cheers. Noel show is definitely worth a listen, unfortunatly as I said in the text I missed the Macca show (I dont know people never read the words I took ohhh minutes composing, they just nab the mp3's) 😉

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:10 pm
  • Mrknowitall

KOOL BLOG.. HAVE U CHECKED OUT THAT NEW EBONY BONES TRACK ‘WE KNOW ALL ABOUT U’ FU*KIN ACE! HEARD IT ON LOVELY RADIO 1.. myspace.com/ebonybones

Nov 3, 2007 at 10:43 pm
  • Mrknowitall

Nov 3, 2007 at 11:43 pm
  • Mrknowitall

KOOL BLOG.. HAVE U CHECKED OUT THAT NEW EBONY BONES TRACK 'WE KNOW ALL ABOUT U' FU*KIN ACE! HEARD IT ON LOVELY RADIO 1.. myspace.com/ebonybones

Nov 3, 2007 at 11:43 pm
  • musiclikedirt

yeah Ebony Bones are fantastic! Saw them live in camden earlier in the year. She’s a star, glad to see radio 1 picking up on them

its http://www.myspace.com/ebonybones

Nov 3, 2007 at 11:54 pm
  • musiclikedirt

yeah Ebony Bones are fantastic! Saw them live in camden earlier in the year. She's a star, glad to see radio 1 picking up on them

its http://www.myspace.com/ebonybones

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:54 am
  • arse

Prodigy’s ‘Guns’ was changed to ‘Shoot Down’

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:53 am
  • arse

Prodigy's 'Guns' was changed to 'Shoot Down'

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:53 am