A dozen years in and the Music Like Dirt end of year ‘best of’ gets later and later but hopefully the music remains ever fabulous. Here’s part one (numbers 151-200) with the rest to follow later in the week.
Enjoy and let me know what I missed…
Listen to the top 200 at your own leisure with playlists on most of the major streaming sites (it should be noted that they’re all missing tracks so the only way to hear everything is to scroll and play on the blog itself).
Whyd.com / Youtube / Spotify (Web / Player) / Soundcloud
MORE: TOP 200 TRACKS OF 2016 (26-50) (51-100) (101-150) (151-200)
151. Childish Gambino – Redbone
Childish Gambino making fine use of Bootsy’s Rubber Band’s classic ‘I’d Rather Be With You’.
As I’m late in publishing please allow me to crowbar in this brand new Migos x Childish Gambino mix from Akira The Don.
Childish Gambino x Migos = Hot Hot
152. Baltra – Fade Away (Vocal)[bandcamp width=600 height=720 album=1309044196 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false track=2995791644]
153. Carla Dal Forno – Fast Moving Cars
154. Ghetto Vanessa – Yuh Live Nice
More from the Equiknoxx Music imprint:
Ghetto Vanessa: “Songs like ‘Live You Nice’ evoke sensations of riding a dolphin on the Caribbean Sea, drinking straight from a coconut under blue skies.”
155. Nocando – El Camino
Nocando: “This song is inspired by the book the wretched of the earth. The song was originally supposed to be called “wretched”
It was also inspired by the riots that ruined my city when I was a child. It was inspired by my unexplainable ambivalence toward the black lives matter hashtag. Colin Kaepernick’s sweet gesture, the growing pains of a people that realize that the authority isn’t the authority because of a superior moral or intelligence but because of power. It’s inspired by me and my friends, people who think like me”.
156. Danny Brown – When It Rain / Today
157. Eddy Apogee – Dont give it away
158. Exploded View – Lost Illusions
159. Hannah Peel – Conversations
160. Howie Lee – “Bei Hai”
161. Nonkeen – Ceramic people[bandcamp width=600 height=720 album=3748456990 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false track=3446543450]
162. Maria Usbeck – Moai Y Yo
163. Mark Ernestus Meets Obadikah – April Dub
164. Money – Suicide Song
165. XOA – Burn feat Lea Lea
166. David August – J.B.Y.[bandcamp width=600 height=720 album=1570246667 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false track=227824255]
167. Will Adlard – Echo
168. Calibre – Amen Tune (feat. DJ Marky)
169. Papa Chango – First Contact
170. Frankie Cosmos – Sinister
171. Cosima – Girls Who Get Ready
172. Dusky – Ingrid Is A Hybrid
173. Beating Heart – The Work (Rudimental Remix)
174. Radiola Serra Alta – Coco De Nosso Senhor[bandcamp width=600 height=720 album=3645994535 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false track=659625917]
175. P Money – Stereotype
The lyrics to ‘Stereotype’ were penned back in 2012, but it stands as relevant as ever, inspiring the Lewisham MC to go back and re-record it this week with the addition of a new hook.
In an interview with SB.TV, he discussed his experiences with police harassment and explains his decision to finally release the Swifta Beater-produced track now…
“A few different things reminded me about the track. The way police have been dealing with people in America recently, seeing a man had died in police custody over here a month or so ago, a famous footballer being tasered by Police and dying.
I got pulled over the other day because they wanted to check my car was mine. I wasn’t driving erratic or too slow causing suspicion, never buss a light, nothing, I don’t even have tints on my car, but they wanted to pull me instead of the car in front that nearly hit a cyclist and had no brake lights.
When I questioned them back out of frustration the officer said ‘a male like yourself driving a car like this isn’t common’. Bro what does that mean? Then I went straight to studio.”
176. Ensemble Du Verre – Who Will Tell Us (Room 13)
177. Zeroh – Sorted[bandcamp width=600 height=720 album=3195132399 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false track=2565819083]
178. Africaine 808 – Balla Balla[bandcamp width=600 height=720 album=3524820111 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false track=4058191603]
179. Anderson .Paak – Am I Wrong (feat. ScHoolboy Q)
180. The Dean Ween Group – Exercise Man
181. Jonwayne – Wonka
182. Little Destroyer – Bad Cell
183. Cavern Of Anti-Matter – hi-hats bring the hiss
184. Big Thief – Masterpiece[bandcamp width=600 height=720 album=2430620393 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false track=1330222818]
185. Fat White Family – Breaking Into Aldi
“This song is a post apocalyptic vision of a barely united United Kingdom bereft of quality German supermarkets and their insipid low prices; ‘Breaking Into Aldi’ is the anthem that never was, a call to arms for the senselessness of our future futility, an overcrowded shadow begging for a rerun, a sell out by sell outs for sell outs. This Fat Whites collaboration with Cole Alexander of the Black Lips, Sean Lennon and Zumi Roscow of the K Holes is by all intents and purposes the sound of hopelessness attempting to bleed itself dry.”
186. Primetime – Pervert
187. Tinashe – Ride Of Your Life
188. Alex Cameron – Take Care Of Business[bandcamp width=600 height=720 album=569503419 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false track=830545066]
189. Cc Dust – New Ways[bandcamp width=600 height=720 album=3038198953 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false track=3516072852]
190. Reckonwrong – The Passions of Pez
191. JuJu – Samael[bandcamp width=600 height=720 album=1260336694 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false track=785657837]
192. Mitski – Your Best American Girl
193. Kadhja Bonet – Honeycomb
194. Peder Mannerfelt – Public Images
195. Rae Sremmurd – Black Beatles
196. Jax Jones – House Work ft. Mike Dunn, MNEK