Have you listened to 100-200 yet..? You have, excellent… here’s another fifty absolutely amazing tunes that rocked my world in 2016.
Listen to the top 200 at your own leisure with playlists on most of the major streaming sites (it should be noted that they’re all missing tracks so the only way to hear everything is to scroll and play on the blog itself).
Whyd.com / Youtube / Spotify (Web / Player) / Soundcloud
MORE: TOP 200 TRACKS OF 2016 (26-50) (51-100) (101-150) (151-200)
51. Shaka Black – Pick Myself Up
Usually specialising in rare roots reggae reissues from the 70’s and 80’s, ‘Lo-fi showcase Pt.3’ marked Horus Records first full length self produced and recorded release. This is all their own production, cut to tape at their home, Arch studio in Tottenham – N15, London but it’s like stepping back in time to Kingston 1970 with a hint of The Wailers ‘Mr Brown’.
[bandcamp width=600 height=720 album=339346546 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false track=3692249078]
52. Bugzy Malone – Beauty And The Beast / Facing Time
“I was stood in the dock and my mum couldn’t look at me
Last time I seen my dad
He was asking me if I’m gonna do this properly”
53. Ancient Methods – A German Love
54. The Maghreban – Brooklyn[bandcamp width=600 height=720 album=32729king4652 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false track=3714172277]
55. The Frightnrs – Nothing More To Say
56. Trim – Before I Lied
“It’s possible I could be wrong and they could all actually love me”
57. Obongjayar – Creeping
58. Adesse Versions – After Hours / That’s What Friends Are For
59. Jamila Woods – Blk Girl Soldier
“The camera loves us
60.GaBLé – TRoPiCooL
61. Dee-1 – Sallie Mae Back
“Went in default Messed my credit up check my Equifax
I ain’t proud of that I’m more proud that I didn’t drown in that”
62. Ruspo – moça chorando
63. K.A.A.N. & K-Def – Responsibilities
[bandcamp width=600 height=720 album=4293476418 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false track=1371207566]
“You want to starve motherfucker or do you want to survive?”
64. Elza Soares – Firmeza (feat. Rodrigo Campos)[bandcamp width=600 height=720 album=2111696550 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false track=995862269]
65. Linde Schöne – Sorry Maar
Linde Schone six track EP is nothing if not diverse with six self penned tunes flitting between breezy pop r’n’b, Burial style 2-step, hip-hop and power ballads. ‘Sorry Maar’ or Sorry But (according to Google Translate) is the sort of infectious pop dance tune that were it not in Dutch would be flying up the charts. The old school house keyboard riff recalls the pop dance crossovers of the early 90’s or perhaps classic Basement Jaxx.
Schone is the R’n’b queen of the Netherlands but it can’t be long until the rest of Europe falls under her spell.
66. Brandy Clark – Since You’ve Gone To Heaven
“There’s signs in every store front, seems like everything’s for sale
They say the market’s bouncing back, but it’s sure hard to tell”
Pages: 1 2